Monday, February 6, 2012

Infamous LECOM Dress Code

The dress code at LECOM is quite unique when it comes to medical schools.  There are other medical schools in the United States that require a dress code but it is not many.  In the grand scheme of things it is not that big of a deal but it is one of those things that can deter a lot of people.  The nuisance of dressing up everyday to go sit in lecture and then actually change out of those clothes into normal clothes for OPP (OMM) days during the week and then sometimes changing back into dress code is a pain.  First year when you have anatomy and OPP sometimes you change clothes 2-3 times a day.  It can become a pain and you wonder is it really worth the trouble.

I feel LECOM thinks they are somehow above every other medical school and that making its students dress up somehow makes them more professional in the long run or something.  Or, they think it helps their studying and learning capabilities.  So, I guess the past decade of students in other medical schools that wore jeans, shorts, t-shirts, etc to their medical schools and that are physicians today - they aren't professional or were somehow hindered in their medical education because they did not wear dress clothes to lecture?

Oh yes, anatomy lab - don't think you are going to get to wear normal clothes in anatomy lab.  You will be in full blow dress clothes with a tie on at LECOM.  Absolutely absurd.  Maybe they did this in the 1800's which I feel the administrators sometimes are living in the past with their outdated modes of thinking.

To simplify - shirt and tie for men every day during the week until 5:30pm and dress clothes for women same thing (even though women practically get away with whatever they want sometimes).  After 5:30 during the week you can wear casual.  But don't think about putting your hood up in the cafeteria when it is freezing - that is a no no - yes I am serious.  Security will come in and ask you to take it down.  It is humiliating just revealing some of these inconsequential nuances this school employs sometimes.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for this. I served in the military and have no desire to return to such an environment. I also believe it is an extraordinary mistake to treat medical students as recruits. You are so much more than that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHy did you go there if you knew there was a dress code?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really? I wore shirt and tie 1st thru 12th grade, in corporate America for 8 years, as a LECOM student, OU intern, UPMC resident, and now as a physician for the last 10 years. What's the big deal?

    Recruits? Many institutions have dress codes and have nothing to do with the military. Ugh. Even Dunkin' Donuts has a dress code. LOL I don't think I'd be a good idea to wear my Gucci, Feragamo or Donald J. Pliner shoes to boot camp. However, I did wear the Navy-issued boots my younger gave me to class! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really? I wore shirt and tie 1st thru 12th grade, in corporate America for 8 years, as a LECOM student, OU intern, UPMC resident, and now as a physician for the last 10 years. What's the big deal?

    Recruits? Many institutions have dress codes and have nothing to do with the military. Ugh. Even Dunkin' Donuts has a dress code. LOL I don't think I'd be a good idea to wear my Gucci, Feragamo or Donald J. Pliner shoes to boot camp. However, I did wear the Navy-issued boots my younger gave me to class! ;-)

    ReplyDelete